Setting up and development
Being established as a foundation in 1937 the German Museum of
Pharmacy was opened in Munich in 1938. The exhibits consisted
exclusively of donations of the profession: The extensive private
collections of the Rath family, Frankfurt (former owners of the Vial
& Uhlmann Co.) and of the Heinrici family, Halle, built up the
basis which was completed by numerous single donations.
Only a few years later – meanwhile the museum had closed down as a
result of the outbreak of World War II – the building and a part of the
collections that had not been transferred into safe store-rooms were
hit by fire bombs and totally destroyed. After the end of the war the
German Museum of Pharmacy found a temporary domicile for the
collections which escaped happily from the destructions of the war in
the prince-episcopal residence of Bamberg. As a matter of fact most of
the stocks were saved. In 1958 the official reopening of the museum
took place at Heidelberg in the Ottheinrich palace which used to be its
location until today.
The purpose of the foundation can be described with the keywords
enlargement, preservation and maintenance of the collections in order
to depict the history of pharmacy in a lively arranged museum. These
statutes have shaped the honorary work of the foundation until today
and are guaranteed not least by the constant support of the profession
of dispensing chemists and their umbrella organization – the
Bundesvereinigung Deutscher Apothekerverbände (ABDA).